Benefits Plan Overview
Flexible Spending Accounts*
- Medical Reimbursement Maximum $2,600/year, Minimum $120/year
- Dependent Care Reimbursement Maximum $5,000/year, Minimum $120/year
Health Insurance: Cigna
Dental Insurance: UMR
Vision Insurance: Superior
Cancer Benefits: Colonial Life
Accident Benefits: Colonial Life
Medical Bridge Indemnity Benefits: Colonial Life
*You will need to re-sign for the Spending Accounts if you want them to continue next year.
IF YOU DO NOT RE-SIGN, YOUR CONTRIBUTION WILL STOP EFFECTIVE December 31, 2017.
- Short-Term Disability: Colonial Life
- Long-Term Disability Insurance: Lincoln Financial
Group Critical Care Benefits: Colonial Life
- Term Life Insurance: Colonial Life
- Whole Life Insurance: Colonial Life
- Group Term Life Insurance: Dearborn National (Employer Paid)
Insurance Products will remain in effect unless you see a representative to change them.
Enrollment Period: October 30, 2017 – November 17, 2017
Effective Dates: January 1, 2018 – December 31, 2018
- Employees working 20 hours or more per week are eligible to participate in benefits.
- Employees must work at least 40 hours per week to be eligible for Basic Group Term Life coverage.
- The plan year for Cigna Health, UMR Dental, Lincoln Financial Long-Term Disability, Superior Vision, Colonial Insurance products and Spending Accounts lasts from January 1, 2018 through December 31, 2018.
- Deductions for Cigna Health, UMR Dental, Lincoln Financial Long-Term Disability, Superior Vision, Colonial Insurance products and Spending Accounts will begin January 2018.
- Health FSA Rollover Provision: Alamance County Government provides the rollover option for your FSA plan. Please see page 23 for more information on this provision.
- If signing up for any coverage on your spouse and/or children, please have their dates of birth and social security numbers available when meeting with the Benefits Representative.
- If you will be receiving a new debit card, whether you are a new participant or to replace your expired card, please be aware that it may take up to 30 days following your plan effective date for your card to arrive. Your card will be delivered by mail in a plain white envelope. During this time you may use manual claim forms for eligible expenses, available from your Benefits Representative during the open enrollment period. Please note that your debit card is good through the expiration date printed on the card.
- Elections made during this enrollment period CANNOT be changed after the enrollment period unless there is a family status change as defined by the Internal Revenue Code. Examples of a family status change are: marriage, divorce, death of a spouse or child, birth or adoption of a child, termination or commencement of a spouse’s employment, or the transition of spouse’s employment from full-time to part-time or vice-versa.
- Once a family status change has occurred, an employee has 30 days to notify the North Carolina Service Center at 888-662-7500 to request a change in elections.
- Medical Reimbursement and Dependent Care Reimbursement expenses must be incurred during the Plan Year in order to be eligible for reimbursement.
- An employee has 90 days after the plan year ends to submit claims for medical reimbursement and/or dependent care expenses that were incurred during the plan year. Please note that if employment terminates during the plan year, that employee’s plan year ends the day employment ends. The employee has 90 days after the termination date to submit claims.
- Unlike Medical Reimbursement Accounts, with Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts the maximum reimbursement you can get is equal to the current account balance in your Dependent Care account.
- The Colonial Cancer plan and the Health Screening Rider on the Colonial Accident and Colonial Medical Bridge plan have a 30-day waiting period for new enrollees. Coverage, therefore, will not begin until January 31, 2018.
- Additionally, some policies may include a pre-existing condition clause. Please read your policy carefully for full details.
- Please be aware there are certain coverages that may be subject to federal and state tax when premium is paid by pretax deduction or employee contribution.
- An employee taking a leave of absence, other than under the Family & Medical Leave Act, may not be eligible to re-enter the Benefits Program until the next plan year. Please contact your Alamance County Government Benefit Administrator for more information.
To enroll or make changes to your Benefits Plan, please see the representative while he/she is at your location