Benefits Plan Overview
Flexible Spending Accounts*
- Medical Reimbursement Maximum $2,650/year
- Dependent Care Reimbursement Maximum $5,000/year
Cancer Benefits: Colonial Life
Accident Benefits: Colonial Life
Medical Bridge Benefits: Colonial Life
Dental Insurance: IMS
Vision Insurance: Envolve
*You will need to re-sign for the Spending Accounts if you want them to continue next year.
IF YOU DO NOT RE-SIGN, YOUR CONTRIBUTION WILL STOP EFFECTIVE December 31, 2018.
Disability Benefits: Colonial Life
Critical Care Benefits: Colonial Life
Accidental Death & Dismemberment Benefits: Unum
- Term Life Insurance: Colonial Life
- Whole Life Insurance: Colonial Life
- Group Term Life Insurance: Unum
Identity Theft Shield & Life Events Legal Plan**: Legal Shield
Pet Insurance: Nationwide
Telemedicine: Call A Doctor Plus
Insurance Products will remain in effect unless you see a representative to change them.
**The Identity Theft Shield & Life Events Legal Plan is included in this booklet for informational purposes only.
For questions, or to enroll, please see the back cover of your benefit booklet for contact information.
Enrollment Period: October 1, 2018 – October 31, 2018
Effective Dates: January 1, 2019 – December 31, 2019
- You must work 30 hours or more per week.
- The plan year for Colonial Insurance products, Spending Accounts, IMS Dental, Unum Accidental Death & Dismemberment, Unum Group Term Life, Envolve Vision, Legal Shield Identity Theft Shield & Life Events Legal Plan and Call A Doctor Plus Telemedicine lasts from January 1, 2019 through December 31, 2019.
- Deductions for Colonial Insurance products, Spending Accounts, Legal Shield Identity Theft Shield & Life Events Legal Plan and Call A Doctor Plus Telemedicine will begin January 2019. Deductions for IMS Dental, Unum Accidental Death & Dismemberment, Unum Group Term Life and Envolve Vision will begin December 2018.
- Health FSA Rollover Provision: Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College provides the rollover option for your FSA plan. Participants must re-elect coverage for any of the rollover funds (up to $500) to be rolled over into the new plan year. Failure to elect an FSA account will result in a “Use It or Lose It” scenario. Please see page 15 for more information on this provision.
- If signing up for any coverage on your spouse and/or children, please have their dates of birth and social security numbers available when meeting with the Benefits Representative.
- If you will be receiving a new debit card, whether you are a new participant or to replace your expired card, please be aware that it may take up to 30 days following your plan effective date for your card to arrive. Your card will be delivered by mail in a plain white envelope. During this time you may use manual claim forms for eligible expenses, available from your Benefits Representative during the open enrollment period. Please note that your debit card is good through the expiration date printed on the card.
- Elections made during this enrollment period CANNOT BE CHANGED AFTER THE ENROLLMENT PERIODunless there is a family status change as defined by the Internal Revenue Code. Examples of a family status change are: marriage, divorce, death of a spouse or child, birth or adoption of a child, termination or commencement of a spouse’s employment, or the transition of spouse’s employment from full-time to part-time or vice-versa.
- Once a family status change has occurred, an employee has 30 days to notify the North Carolina Service Center at 1-888-662-7500 to request a change in elections.
- Medical Reimbursement and Dependent Care Reimbursement expenses must be incurred during the Plan Year in order to be eligible for reimbursement.
- An employee has 90 days after the plan year ends to submit claims for medical reimbursement and/or dependent care expenses that were incurred during the plan year. Please note that if employment terminates during the plan year, that employee’s plan year ends the day employment ends.The employee has 90 days after the termination date to submit claims.
- PLEASE NOTE: Unlike the Medical Reimbursement Account, your annual contribution to the Dependent Care Reimbursement Account is available for your use as it is deducted from your pay over the course of the year. You cannot be reimbursed more than has actually been deducted from your pay.
- The Colonial Cancer plan and the Health Screening Rider on the Colonial Accident and Colonial Medical Bridge plan have a 30-day waiting period for new enrollees. Coverage, therefore, will not begin until January 31, 2019.
- Additionally, some policies may include a pre-existing condition clause. Please read your policy carefully for full details.
- Please be aware there are certain coverages that may be subject to federal and state tax when premium is paid by pretax deduction or employee contribution.
- An employee taking a leave of absence, other than under the Family & Medical Leave Act, may not be eligible to re-enter the Flexible Benefits Program until the next plan year. Please contact your Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College Benefit Administrator for more information.
To enroll or make changes to your Flexible Benefits Plan, please see the representative while he/she is at your location.