Benefits Plan Overview
Health Insurance: Aetna
Dental Insurance: MetLife
Vision Insurance: Superior
Cancer Benefits: Colonial Life
Accident Benefits: Colonial Life
Medical Bridge Benefits: Colonial Life
Disability Benefits: Colonial Life
Critical Care Benefits: Colonial Life
- Employee Group Term Life (Employer Paid): MetLife
- Dependent Group Term Life (Employee Paid): MetLife
- Term Life Insurance: Colonial Life
- Whole Life Insurance: Colonial Life
Insurance Products will remain in effect unless you see a representative to change them.
Enrollment Period: May 13, 2019 – May 16, 2019
Effective Dates: July 1, 2019 – June 30, 2020
- Full-time employees working 30 hours or more per week are eligible for benefits
- New employees must enroll within 30 days of hire. Benefits begin the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- The plan year for Aetna Health, MetLife Dental, Superior Vision and Colonial Insurance products lasts from July 1, 2019 through June 30, 2020.
- Deductions for Aetna Health, MetLife Dental, Superior Vision and Colonial Insurance products will begin June 2019.
- If signing up for any coverage on your spouse and/or children, please have their dates of birth and social security numbers available when meeting with the Benefits Representative.
- Elections made during this enrollment period CANNOT be changed after the enrollment period unless there is a family status change as defined by the Internal Revenue Code. Examples of a family status change are: marriage, divorce, death of a spouse or child, birth or adoption of a child, termination or commencement of a spouse’s employment, or the transition of spouse’s employment from full-time to part-time or vice-versa.
- Once a family status change has occurred, an employee has 30 days to notify the North Carolina Service Center at 1-888-662-7500 to request a change in elections.
- The Colonial Cancer plan and the Health Screening Rider on the Colonial Accident and Colonial Medical Bridge plan have a 30-day waiting period for new enrollees. Coverage, therefore, will not begin until July 31, 2019.
- Additionally, some policies may include a pre-existing condition clause. Please read your policy carefully for full details.
- Please be aware there are certain coverages that may be subject to federal and state tax when premium is paid by pretax deduction or employee contribution.
- An employee taking a leave of absence, other than under the Family & Medical Leave Act, may not be eligible to re-enter the Benefits Program until the next plan year. Please contact your Chowan County Government Benefit Administrator for more information.
To enroll or make changes to your Benefits Plan, please see the representative while he/she is at your location.