Benefits Plan Overview
Flexible Spending Accounts**
- Medical Reimbursement FSA Maximum $2,750/year
- Dependent Care Reimbursement FSA Maximum $5,000/year
Cancer Benefits: Colonial Life
Accident Benefits: Colonial Life
Medical Bridge Benefits: Colonial Life
Dental Insurance*: Sun Life
Vision Insurance*: Superior
**You will need to re-sign for the Flexible Spending Accounts if you want them to continue next year.
IF YOU DO NOT RE-SIGN, YOUR CONTRIBUTION WILL STOP EFFECTIVE DECEMBER 31, 2019.
Disability Benefits: Colonial Life
- Short-Term Disability Benefits* (Employer-Paid): Sun Life
- Long-Term Disability Benefits* (Employer-Paid): Sun Life
Critical Care Benefits: Colonial Life
- Term Life Insurance: Colonial Life
- Whole Life Insurance: Colonial Life
- Group Term Life Insurance*: Sun Life
- Basic Life – Employer Paid
- Voluntary Life
*EMPLOYEES WILL NEED TO RE-ENROLL IN SUN LIFE DENTAL, SUPERIOR VISION, SUN LIFE GROUP TERM LIFE, SUN LIFE SHORT-TERM DISABILITY AND SUN LIFE LONG-TERM DISABILITY BENEFITS IN ORDER TO CONTINUE COVERAGE FOR THE NEW PLAN YEAR BEGINNING JANUARY 1, 2020.
ENROLLMENT PERIOD: DECEMBER 9, 2019 – DECEMBER 11, 2019
EFFECTIVE DATES: JANUARY 1, 2020 – DECEMBER 31, 2020
• Employees must work 30 hours or more per week to participate in benefits.
• The plan year for Sun Life Dental, Superior Vision, Colonial Insurance products, Spending Accounts, Sun Life Short-Term Disability, Sun Life Long-Term Disability and Sun Life Group Term Life lasts from January 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020.
• Deductions for Sun Life Dental, Superior Vision, Colonial Insurance products, Spending Accounts and Sun Life Voluntary Group Term Life will begin January 2020.
• If signing up for any coverage on your spouse and/or children, please have their dates of birth and social security numbers available when meeting with the Benefits Representative.
• If you will be receiving a new debit card, whether you are a new participant or to replace your expired card, please be aware that it may take up to 30 days following your plan effective date for your card to arrive. Your card will be delivered by mail in a plain white envelope. During this time you may use manual claim forms for eligible expenses.
Please note that your debit card is good through the expiration date printed on the card.
• Elections made during this enrollment period CANNOT BE CHANGED AFTER THE ENROLLMENT PERIOD unless there is a family status change as defined by the Internal Revenue Code. Examples of a family status change are: marriage, divorce, death of a spouse or child, birth or adoption of a child, termination or commencement of a spouse’s employment, or the transition of spouse’s employment from full-time to part-time, or vice-versa. All changes must go through Bessemer City Human Resources.
• Flexible Spending Account expenses must be incurred during the Plan Year in order to be eligible for reimbursement.
• An employee has 90 days after the plan year ends to submit claims for spending account expenses that were incurred during the plan year. Please note that if employment terminates during the plan year, that employee’s plan year ends the day employment ends. The employee has 90 days after the termination date to submit claims.
• With Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts, the maximum reimbursement you can request is equal to the current account balance in your Dependent Care account. You cannot be reimbursed more than has actually been deducted from your pay.
• The Colonial Cancer plan and the Health Screening Rider on the Colonial Accident and Colonial Medical Bridge plan have a 30-day waiting period for new enrollees. Coverage, therefore, will not begin until January 31, 2020.
• Additionally, some policies may include a pre-existing condition clause. Please read your policy carefully for full details.
• Please be aware there are certain coverages that may be subject to federal and state tax when premium is paid by pretax deduction or employee contribution.
• An employee taking a leave of absence, other than under the Family & Medical Leave Act, may not be eligible to re-enter the Flexible Benefits Program until the next plan year. Please contact your Benefit Administrator for more information.