Benefits Plan Overview
Health Insurance: BlueCross BlueShield
Flexible Spending Accounts*
- Dependent Care Reimbursement Maximum $5,000/year, Min, $120/year
Cancer Benefits: Colonial Life
Accident Benefits: Colonial Life
Medical Bridge Benefits: Colonial Life
Dental Insurance: Delta
Vision Insurance: Superior
*You will need to re-sign for the Spending Accounts if you want them to continue next year.
IF YOU DO NOT RE-SIGN, YOUR CONTRIBUTION WILL STOP EFFECTIVE June 30, 2019.
Disability Benefits: Colonial Life
Critical Care Benefits: Colonial Life
Accident Benefits – Gunshot Wound Policy: Colonial Life
Identity Theft Shield & Life Events Legal Plan**: Legal Shield
- Term Life Insurance: Colonial Life
- Whole Life Insurance: Colonial Life
Insurance Products will remain in effect unless you see a representative to change them.
**The Identity Theft Shield & Life Events Legal Plan is included in this booklet for informational purposes only.
For questions, or to enroll, please see the back cover of your benefit booklet for contact information.
Enrollment Period: May 13, 2019 –May 31, 2019
Effective Dates: July 1, 2019 – June 30, 2020
- Full-Time Employees working a minimum of 30 hours per week are eligible to participate.
- New employees are eligible for Dependent Care Spending Account following a 90-day probationary period.
- The plan year for Superior Vision, Colonial Insurance products, Dependent Care Spending Accounts and Legal Shield Identity Theft Shield & Life Events Legal Plan lasts from July 1, 2019 through June 30, 2020.
- Deductions for Superior Vision, Colonial Insurance products, Dependent Care Spending Accounts and Legal Shield Identity Theft Shield & Life Events Legal Plan will begin July 2019.
- If signing up for any coverage on your spouse and/or children, please have their dates of birth and social security numbers available when meeting with the Benefits Representative.
- Elections made during this enrollment period CANNOT be changed after the enrollment period unless there is a family status change as defined by the Internal Revenue Code. Examples of a family status change are: marriage, divorce, death of a spouse or child, birth or adoption of a child, termination or commencement of a spouse’s employment, or the transition of spouse’s employment from full-time to part-time or vice-versa.
- Once a family status change has occurred, an employee has 30 days to notify the North Carolina Service Center at 1-888-662-7500 to request a change in elections.
- Dependent Care Reimbursement expenses must be incurred during the Plan Year in order to be eligible for reimbursement.
- An employee has 90 days after the plan year ends to submit claims for dependent care expenses that were incurred during the plan year. Please note that if employment terminates during the plan year, that employee’s plan year ends the day employment ends. The employee has 90 days after the termination date to submit claims.
- With Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts, the maximum reimbursement you can get is equal to the current account balance in your Dependent Care account.
- The Colonial Cancer plan and the Health Screening Rider on the Colonial Accident and Colonial Medical Bridge plan have a 30-day waiting period for new enrollees. Coverage, therefore, will not begin until July 31, 2019.
- Additionally, some policies may include a pre-existing condition clause. Please read your policy carefully for full details.
- Please be aware there are certain coverages that may be subject to federal and state tax when premium is paid by pretax deduction or employee contribution.
- An employee taking a leave of absence, other than under the Family & Medical Leave Act, may not be eligible to re-enter the Benefits Program until the next plan year. Please contact your City of Gastonia Benefit Administrator for more information.
To enroll or make changes to your Benefits Plan, please see the representative while he/she is at your location.