Benefits Plan Overview
Cancer Benefits: Colonial Life
Accident Benefits: Colonial Life
Medical Bridge Benefits: Colonial Life
Dental Insurance: BlueCross BlueShield
Vision Insurance: Superior
Disability Benefits: Colonial Life
Critical Care Benefits: Colonial Life
- Term Life Insurance: Colonial Life
- Whole Life Insurance: Colonial Life
Telemedicine: Call A Doctor Plus
Insurance Products will remain in effect unless you see a representative to change them.
Enrollment Period: July 22, 2019 – July 24, 2019
Effective Dates: August 1, 2019 – July 31, 2020
• You must work hours or more per week.
• The plan year for Colonial Insurance products, BlueCross BlueShield Dental, Superior Vision and Call A Doctor Plus Telemedicine lasts from August 1, 2019 through July 31st, 2020.
• Deductions for Colonial Insurance products, BlueCross BlueShield Dental, Superior Vision and Call A Doctor Plus Telemedicine will begin August 2019.
• If signing up for any coverage on your spouse and/or children, please have their dates of birth and social security numbers available when meeting with the Benefits Representative.
• Elections made during this enrollment period CANNOT BE CHANGED AFTER THE ENROLLMENT PERIOD unless there is a family status change as defined by the Internal Revenue Code. Examples of a family status change are: marriage, divorce, death of a spouse or child, birth or adoption of a child, termination or commencement of a spouse’s employment, or the transition of spouse’s employment from full-time to part-time, or vice-versa.
• Once a family status change has occurred, an employee has 30 days to notify the North Carolina Service Center at 1-888-662-7500 to request a change in elections.
• The Colonial Cancer plan and the Health Screening Rider on the Colonial Accident and Colonial Medical Bridge plan have a 30-day waiting period for new enrollees. Coverage, therefore, will not begin until August 31, 2020.
• Additionally, some policies may include a pre-existing condition clause. Please read your policy carefully for full details.
• Please be aware there are certain coverages that may be subject to federal and state tax when premium is paid by pretax deduction or employee contribution.
IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING DENTAL PLAN WAITING PERIODS:
Enrolling In This Dental Benefit Plan
You are a timely enrollee if you apply for coverage and/or add dependents within a 30-day period of when you first become eligible for coverage under this dental benefit plan or within 30 days following a qualifying event as described below. Once dental coverage has terminated, regardless of the reason, you may not re-enroll, unless a qualifying event occurs.
If you apply for coverage at a time, which does not qualify you or your dependents as timely enrollees as stated above, then you are considered late enrollees. Late enrollees have no waiting period for diagnostic and preventive services. For all other dental services, where timely enrollees have no waiting period, late enrollees have a 12-month waiting period. Where timely enrollees have waiting periods, these waiting periods are doubled for late enrollees. See “Waiting Periods.”
There is no waiting period for members to receive benefits for diagnostic and preventive, or basic services, except for late enrollees. However, there is a 12-month waiting period for major services and a 12-month waiting period for orthodontic services. These waiting periods are doubled for late enrollees. Eligible children who are added as a result of a court order are not subject to a waiting period. Waiting periods are waived for timely enrollees who can show proof of prior dental coverage, with a maximum gap in coverage of no more than 63 days. If a waiting period applies, see the Dental Coverage chart in “Covered Services.”