Benefits forHopewell City Public Schools (VA)

Important FSA Information

Employer: Hopewell City Public Schools

Plan Year: July 1, 2019 through June 30, 2020


What are my Maximum Annual Contributions?

The maximum you may contribute to the Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account is $5,000/year


What happens if I don’t use all the money in my FSA by the end of the plan year?

By law, employers are not allowed to return leftover money to participants.


How does an FSA work?

First you choose how much money you would like automatically deducted from your paycheck for your dependent care FSA. Then you can use a debit card to spend the money in your account on eligible expenses. If you do not have a debit card, you submit receipts and get reimbursed by check or direct deposit, if available.


When can I start using the money in my FSA account?

The maximum amount you can be reimbursed for is equal to the current account balance in your Dependent Care account.


Will I get paid less every pay period if I enroll in an FSA?

Yes and No! Your gross, or pre-tax, pay will remain the same. But your “net” pay will be lower because a portion of it will go into your FSA account. The advantage is that this money gets put into your FSA account before taxes, which lowers your “taxable” income.


When do I choose my contribution amount and can I change it anytime?

You choose your FSA contribution amount during your annual enrollment; this is the time of year you can elect and/or change your benefits such as medical, dental, etc. Once your contribution election becomes effective, you won’t be able to change it until the next enrollment period, unless there is a change in your eligibility status (e.g., marital status, having or adopting a child, etc.). You must check with your employer for specific eligibility status change rules.


Who is eligible to participate?

Employees who work at least 20 hours per week are eligible to participate. Eligible employees must sign a new enrollment form before the start of each plan year.


Eligible employees can claim expenses incurred by their dependents as defined under section 125 of the Internal Revenue Code.


What happens to my FSA contributions if I leave or am terminated from my job?

If you leave or are terminated from your job and have a positive balance in your FSA account, you do have COBRA rights. If you do not exercise those rights, the balance remaining in your FSA will be forfeited.


How may I access my account information?

You may log in to your FSA account anytime to view your account balance, account activity and transaction history. Access your account at You may also call AmeriFlex directly at 888-868-3539 to speak to a representative or to access the 24/7 Interactive Voice Response System.