Benefits Plan Overview
Health Insurance: Anthem
Dental Insurance: Delta Dental
Vision Insurance: Anthem
Health Savings Accounts*
- Employee Maximum $3,400/year
- Family Maximum $6,750/year
HSA plans can only be established in conjunction with a qualified high-deductible health plan (HDHP)
Flexible Spending Accounts*
- Medical Reimbursement Maximum $2,600/year
- Limited Purpose FSA Maximum $2,600**
- Dependent Care Reimbursement Maximum $5,000/year
**Limited Purpose FSA funds can only be used for qualifying vision, dental and orthodontia expenses
Accident Benefits: Colonial Life
Cancer Benefits: Colonial Life
Medical Bridge Indemnity Benefits: Colonial Life
* You will need to re-sign for the Spending Accounts if you want them to continue each year.
IF YOU DO NOT RE-SIGN, YOUR CONTRIBUTION WILL STOP EFFECTIVE June 30, 2017.
Disability Benefits: Colonial Life
- Group Term Life Insurance : Anthem
- Term Life Insurance: Colonial Life
- Whole Life Insurance: Colonial Life
Insurance Products will remain in effect unless you see a representative to change them.
Enrollment Period: April 17, 2017 through April 28, 2017
Effective Dates: July 1, 2017 through June 30, 2018
- You must work 30 hours or more with a contract.
- The plan year for The Local Choice benefits (Anthem Health, Delta Dental & Anthem Vision), Anthem Group Term Life, Delta Dental and Superior Vision lasts from July 1, 2017 through June 30, 2018. The plan year for Health Savings Accounts, Flexible Spending Accounts and Colonial Insurance products lasts from July 1, 2017 through June 30, 2018.
- Deductions for The Local Choice/Anthem will begin June 2017. Deductions for Delta Dental (stand-alone policy), Anthem Group Term Life, Superior Vision, Health Savings Accounts, Flexible Spending Accounts and Colonial Insurance products will begin July 2017.
- If signing up for any coverage on your spouse and/or children, please have their dates of birth and social security numbers available when meeting with the Benefits Representative.
- If you will be receiving a spending account debit card, please be aware that it may take up to 30 days following your plan effective date for your card to arrive. Your card will be delivered by mail in a plain white envelope. During this time you may use manual claim forms for eligible expenses, available from your Benefits Representative during the open enrollment period. Please note that your debit card is good through the expiration date printed on the card.
- Elections made during this enrollment period CANNOT be changed after the enrollment period unless there is a family status change as defined by the Internal Revenue Code. Examples of a family status change are: marriage, divorce, death of a spouse or child, birth or adoption of a child, termination or commencement of a spouse’s employment, or the transition of spouse’s employment from full-time to part-time or vice-versa.
- Once a family status change has occurred, an employee has 30 days to notify the Pierce Group Benefits Service Center at 1-800-387-5955 to request a change in elections.
- Medical Reimbursement and Dependent Care Reimbursement expenses must be incurred during the Plan Year in order to be eligible for reimbursement.
- An employee has 90 days after the plan year ends to submit claims for Medical Reimbursement, Dependent Care and/or Limited Purpose FSA expenses that were incurred during the plan year. Please note that if employment terminates during the plan year, that employee’s plan year ends the day employment ends. The employee has 90 days after the termination date to submit claims.
- Unlike Medical and Limited Purpose Flexible Spending Accounts, with Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts the maximum reimbursement you can get is equal to the current account balance in your Dependent Care account.
- The Colonial Cancer plan and the Health Screening Rider on the Colonial Accident and Colonial Medical Bridge plan have a 30-day waiting period for new enrollees. Coverage, therefore, will not begin until July 31, 2017.
- Additionally, some policies may include a pre-existing condition clause. Please read your policy carefully for full details.
- Please be aware there are certain coverages that may be subject to federal and state tax when premium is paid by pretax deduction or employee contribution.
- An employee taking a leave of absence, other than under the Family & Medical Leave Act, may not be eligible to re-enter the Benefits Program until the next plan year. Please contact your Mecklenburg County Public Schools Benefit Administrator for more information.
To enroll or make changes to your Benefits Plan, please see the representative while he/she is at your location.