Benefits Plan Overview
Flexible Spending Accounts*
- Medical Reimbursement Maximum $2,600/year
- Dependent Care Reimbursement Maximum $5,000/year
Cancer Benefits: Colonial Life
Medical Bridge Indemnity Benefits: Colonial Life
Dental Insurance: SunLife (Formerly Assurant)
Vision Insurance: Superior
*You will need to re-sign for the Spending Accounts if you want them to continue next year.
IF YOU DO NOT RE-SIGN, YOUR CONTRIBUTION WILL STOP EFFECTIVE August 31, 2017.
Disability Benefits: Colonial Life
Accident Benefits: Colonial Life
Group Critical Care Benefits: Colonial Life
- Term Life Insurance: Colonial Life
- Whole Life Insurance: Colonial Life
- Group Term Life Insurance: Aetna
Enrollment Period: April 24, 2017 – May 19, 2017
Effective Dates: September 1, 2017 – August 31, 2018 (FSAs, Colonial & Group Term Life)
October 1, 2017 – September 30, 2018 (Dental & Vision)
- You must be a permanent employee working 30 hours or more per week.
- The plan year for Colonial Insurance products, Spending Accounts and Aetna Group Term Life lasts from September 1, 2017 through August 31, 2018. The plan year for Sun Life (formerly Assurant) Dental and Superior Vision lasts from October 1, 2017 through September 30, 2018.
- Deductions for Colonial Insurance products and Spending Accounts will begin September 2017. Deductions for Sun Life (formerly Assurant) Dental, Aetna Group Term Life and Superior Vision will begin September 2017.
- IMPORTANT UPDATE: If you enroll in the Medical Reimbursement Account and participate in the CDHP w/HRA through the State Health Plan, there are some factors you should take into consideration. Please speak with your Benefits Representative during the Enrollment Period for important information that may impact the amount you choose to contribute.
- If signing up for any coverage on your spouse and/or children, please have their dates of birth and social security numbers available when meeting with the Benefits Representative.
- If you will be receiving a new debit card, whether you are a new participant or to replace your expired card, please be aware that it may take up to 30 days following your plan effective date for your card to arrive. Your card will be delivered by mail in a plain white envelope. During this time you may use manual claim forms for eligible expenses, available from your Benefits Representative during the open enrollment period. Please note that your debit card is good through the expiration date printed on the card.
- Elections made during this enrollment period CANNOT be changed after the enrollment period unless there is a family status change as defined by the Internal Revenue Code. Examples of a family status change are: marriage, divorce, death of a spouse or child, birth or adoption of a child, termination or commencement of a spouse’s employment, or the transition of spouse’s employment from full-time to part-time or vice-versa.
- Once a family status change has occurred, an employee has 30 days to notify the North Carolina Service Center at 1-888-662-7500 to request a change in elections.
- Medical Reimbursement and Dependent Care Reimbursement expenses must be incurred during the Plan Year in order to be eligible for reimbursement.
- An employee has 90 days after the plan year ends to submit claims for medical reimbursement and/or dependent care expenses that were incurred during the plan year. Please note that if employment terminates during the plan year, that employee’s plan year ends the day employment ends. The employee has 90 days after the termination date to submit claims.
- Unlike Medical Reimbursement Accounts, with Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts the maximum reimbursement you can get is equal to the current account balance in your Dependent Care account.
- The Colonial Cancer plan and the Health Screening Rider on the Colonial Accident and Colonial Medical Bridge plan have a 30-day waiting period for new enrollees. Coverage, therefore, will not begin until October 1, 2017.
- Additionally, some policies may include a pre-existing condition clause. Please read your policy carefully for full details.
- Please be aware there are certain coverages that may be subject to federal and state tax when premium is paid by pretax deduction or employee contribution.
- An employee taking a leave of absence, other than under the Family & Medical Leave Act, may not be eligible to re-enter the Flexible Benefits Program until the next plan year. Please contact your Mount Airy City Schools Benefit Administrator for more information.
To enroll or make changes to your Flexible Benefits Plan, please see the representative while he/she is at your school or location.