Congratulations on your new employment! Your employment means more than just a paycheck. Your employer also provides eligible employees with a valuable benefits package. Below you will find information about how to enroll in these benefits as a new employee.
PEBA Benefits – Visit https://mybenefits.sc.gov/
Colonial Benefits – Please call the Service Center within 30 days of your date of hire. The Service Center number is located on the contact page of this microsite.
Be sure to also review your group’s custom benefits microsite, that allows for easy, year-round access to benefit information, live chat support, benefit explainer videos, plan certificates and documents, and carrier contacts and forms.
Benefits Plan Overview
Cancer Benefits: Colonial Life
Accident Benefits: Colonial Life
Medical Bridge Benefits: Colonial Life
Short-Term Disability Benefits: Colonial Life
Critical Illness Benefits: Colonial Life
Whole Life Insurance: Colonial Life
Pet Insurance: Nationwide – Direct Billing Only
Student Loan Assistance Program: GradFin
Please note your insurance products will remain in effect unless you speak with a representative to change them.
Enrollment Period: OCTOBER 1, 2023 – OCTOBER 31, 2023
Effective Dates: JANUARY 1, 2024 – DECEMBER 31, 2024
– Employees must work 30 hours or more per week.
– When do my benefits start? The plan year for Colonial Insurance products and Nationwide Pet Insurance lasts through January 1, 2024 through December 31, 2024.
– When do my deductions start? Deductions for Colonial Insurance products will begin January 2024. The Nationwide Pet Insurance plan is available by Direct Billing only. No deductions will be taken via payroll deduction.
– Why have my Cancer, Accident, or Medical Bridge benefits not started yet? The Colonial Cancer plan and the Health Screening Rider on the Colonial Accident and Colonial Medical Bridge plan have a 30-day waiting period for new enrollees. Coverage, therefore, will not begin until January 31, 2024.
– I want to sign my family up for benefits as well, what information will I need? If signing up for any coverage on your spouse and/or children, please have their dates of birth and social security numbers available when speaking with the Benefits Representative.
–What does Pre-Tax vs. Post-Tax Change? Pre-Tax benefits take funds directly from your paycheck to cover benefits before going through State and Federal taxing process. Post-Tax collects funds for benefits after taxes have been taken out. Please be aware there are certain coverages that may be subject to federal and state tax when premium is paid by pretax deduction or employee contribution.
– Can I sign up for PEBA Benefits as well? No, Pierce Group Representatives are not authorized to assist employees with PEBA enrollment or make enrollment elections on an employee’s behalf. PEBA information is included in this guide for informational purposes only. Please see the following page for ways to access your benefits and enrollment information.
– Can I change my benefit elections outside of the enrollment period? Elections made during this enrollment period CANNOT BE CHANGED AFTER THE ENROLLMENT PERIOD unless there is a family status change, otherwise known as a qualifying life event (QLE), as defined by the Internal Revenue Code. Examples of a QLE can be found here. Once a QLE has occurred, an employee has 30 days to notify PGB’s Service Center at 1-833-556-0006 to request a change in elections.
– I have a pre-existing condition. Will I still be covered? Some policies may include a pre-existing condition clause. Please read your policy carefully for full details.
PEBA BENEFITS & ENROLLMENT:
– PEBA administers the state’s employee insurance programs for South Carolina’s public workforce. PEBA benefit elections are processed through PEBA’s MyBenefits and Member Access portals. Learn more about the benefits available to employees by visiting the link below.
To view the PEBA Insurance Summary, click on the link and, once the new page loads, click on ‘2024 Insurance Summary’: https://www.peba.sc.gov/oe