Benefits forHalifax County Schools (NC)

Overview of Benefits

Pre-Tax Benefits

Flexible Spending Accounts: Ameriflex
– Medical Reimbursement Maximum: $3,050/year
– Dependent Care Reimbursement Maximum: $5,000/year
You will need to re-enroll in the Flexible Spending Accounts if you want them to continue next year.

Dental Insurance: Delta

Vision Insurance: Superior

Cancer Benefits: Colonial Life

Accident BenefitsColonial Life

Medical Bridge BenefitsColonial Life


Post-Tax Benefits

Disability BenefitsColonial Life

Critical Illness BenefitsColonial Life

Life InsuranceColonial Life
– Term Life Insurance
– Whole Life Insurance
– Group Term Life Insurance (Including EAP + Work/Life Programs)

Long Term Care Benefits: CHUBB

Telemedicine Benefits: Call A Doctor Plus – Direct Billing Only


Additional Benefits

Student Loan Assistance Program: GradFin – Direct Billing Only



Please note your insurance products will remain in effect unless you speak with a representative to change them.


Enrollment Period: AUGUST 14, 2023 – SEPTEMBER 8, 2023

Effective Dates: OCTOBER 1, 2023 – SEPTEMBER 30, 2024



– Permanent full time employees who work 30 hours or more per week are eligible for all benefits.

– Permanent part-time employees who work 16-29 hours per week and Bus Drivers are eligible for Basic Group Term Life.


When do my benefits start? The plan year for Colonial Insurance products, Spending Accounts, Delta Dental, Colonial Group Term Life, Superior Vision, and CHUBB Long-Term Care lasts from October 1, 2023 through September 30, 2024. Please Note: Dental benefits are based on the Calendar Year, running from January 1st through December 31st. Dental benefits and deductibles will reset every January 1st.

When do my deductions start? Deductions for Colonial Insurance products, Spending Accounts, Delta Dental, Colonial Group Term Life, Superior Vision, and CUBB Long Term Care will begin October 2023. The Call A Doctor Plus Telemedicine plan is available by Direct Billing only. No deductions will be taken via payroll deduction.

Why have my Cancer, Accident, or Medical Bridge benefits not started yet? The Colonial Cancer plan and the Health Screening Rider on the Colonial Accident and Colonial Medical Bridge plan have a 30-day waiting period for new enrollees. Coverage, therefore, will not begin until October 31, 2023.

What is an EAP? Your Group Term Life coverage includes Health Advocate Employee Assistance + Work/Life Programs. An Employee Assistance Program (EAP) offers confidential support and resources for personal or work-related challenges and concerns. Please see the Group Term Life pages of this benefit guide for more details and contact information.

How do Flexible Spending Account (FSA) funds work, and do my FSA funds have to be used by a specific deadline? Flexible Spending Account expenses must be incurred during the plan year to be eligible for reimbursement. After the plan year ends, an employee has 30 days to submit claims for incurred qualified spending account expenses (or 30 days after employment termination date). If employment is terminated before the plan year ends, the spending account also ends, and any unused funds are forfeited. Your plan also includes a rollover
provision! This means that if you have money left in your FSA at the end of the plan year, you can carryover up to $610 into the 2024 plan year. Any remaining funds beyond $610 is forfeited under the “Use It or Lose It” rule.

My spouse is enrolled in an Health Savings Account (HSA), am I eligible for an FSA? As a married couple, one spouse cannot be enrolled in a Medical Reimbursement FSA at the same time the other opens or contributes to an HSA.

How do Dependent Care Account (DCA) funds work and when do they need to be used? Dependent Care Accounts are like FSA accounts and allow you to request reimbursement up to your current balance. However, you cannot receive more reimbursement than what has been deducted from your pay. It’s important to note that any remaining funds in your DCA account must be utilized before the deadline. Failure to use all allotted funds in the DCA account will result in a “Use It or Lose It” scenario. Your plan includes a grace period which is an additional 2.5 months (running October 1, 2024, through December 15, 2024) during which you can incur eligible expenses that can be reimbursed. Therefore, you have from October 1, 2023, through December 15, 2024, to incur qualified expenses eligible for reimbursement. If you do not incur qualified expenses by December 15, 2024, and/or file by December 31, 2024, any contributions are forfeited under the “Use It or Lose It” rule.

When will I get my card? If you will be receiving a new debit card, whether you are a new participant or to replace your expired card, please be aware that it may take up to 30 days following your plan effective date for your card to arrive. Your card will be delivered by mail in a plain white envelope. During this time you may use manual claim forms for eligible expenses. Please note that your debit card is good through the expiration date printed on the card.

I want to sign my family up for benefits as well, what information will I need? If signing up for any coverage on your spouse and/or children, please have their dates of birth and social security numbers available when speaking with the Benefits Representative.

What is the difference between pre and post-tax benefits? Pre-tax benefit contributions are taken from an employee’s paycheck before state and federal taxes are applied. Post-tax benefit contributions are paid after taxes are deducted. It’s important to note that some coverages may still be subject to taxes even if paid for through pre-tax deduction or employee contribution.

Can I change my benefit elections outside of the enrollment period? Elections made during this enrollment period CANNOT BE CHANGED AFTER THE ENROLLMENT PERIOD unless there is a family status change, otherwise known as a qualifying life event (QLE), as defined by the Internal Revenue Code. Examples of a QLE can be found in the chart in your Benefits Guide. Once a QLE has occurred, an employee has 30 days to notify PGB’s Service Center at 1-888-662-7500 to request a change in elections.

I have a pre-existing condition. Will I still be covered? Some policies may include a pre-existing condition clause. Please read your policy carefully for full details.