Congratulations on your new employment!
Flex, Dental, Vision, and Term Life – Please contact your Benefits Department within 30 days of your date of hire to enroll.
Colonial Benefits – Please call the Service Center at 888-662-7500 within 30 days of your date of hire to enroll.
Nationwide Pet Insurance — You are eligible to self-enroll online. Please visit: benefits.petinsurance.com/mecklenburg-county-government
Benefits Plan Overview
Flexible Spending Accounts*: Ameriflex
– Medical Reimbursement FSA Maximum: $2,750/year | Minimum: $260/year
– Dependent Care Reimbursement FSA Maximum: $5,000/year | Minimum: $260/year
*You will need to re-sign for the Flexible Spending Accounts if you want them to continue next year.
IF YOU DO NOT RE-SIGN, YOUR CONTRIBUTION WILL STOP EFFECTIVE DECEMBER 31, 2021.
Cancer Benefits: Colonial Life
Accident Benefits: Colonial Life
Medical Bridge Benefits: Colonial Life
Critical Illness Benefits: Colonial Life
Pet Insurance: Nationwide
Please note your insurance products will remain in effect unless you speak with a representative to change them, or make changes through the online enrollment system.
Enrollment Period: NOVEMBER 8, 2021 – NOVEMBER 19, 2021
Effective Dates: JANUARY 1, 2022 – DECEMBER 31, 2022
– Regular full-time employees working 30 hours or more per week and grandfathered part-time employees are eligible to participate.
– Eligible employees may cover eligible family members by paying a bi-weekly payroll deducted premium. You may cover your legal spouse, your biological, foster, adopted or stepchildren up to age 26 or over age 18 with a disability. Proof may be required if dependent has different last name than employee.
– Mecklenburg County’s online enrollment for Flexible Spending Accounts is November 8, 2021 through November 19, 2021. During this period, sign onto myHR and click on Benefits Enrollment to elect your FSA coverage. Please see the following pages for Colonial Insurance and Pet Insurance enrollment instructions.
– The plan year for Colonial Insurance products, Spending Accounts and Nationwide Pet Insurance lasts from January 1, 2022 through December 31, 2022.
– Payroll deductions for Colonial Insurance products, Medical and Dependent Care Spending Accounts and Nationwide Pet Insurance will begin January 2022.
– Health FSA Rollover Provision: Your employer provides the rollover option for your FSA plan. Please see the Flexible Spending Account section of your benefit booklet for more information on this provision.
– If your employment terminates during 2022, your plan year ends the day your employment ends. You are no longer a participant in the plan and any expenses you incur after the date of your termination are not eligible for reimbursement. You have 90 days after your termination date to submit claims for reimbursement of expenses incurred prior to your termination.
– If signing up for any coverage on your spouse and/or children, please have their dates of birth and social security numbers available when speaking with the Benefits Representative.
– If you will be receiving a new debit card, whether you are a new participant or to replace your expired card, please be aware that it may take up to 30 days following your plan effective date for your card to arrive. Your card will be delivered by mail in a plain white envelope. During this time you may use manual claim forms for eligible expenses. Please note that your debit card is good through the expiration date printed on the card.
– Elections made during this enrollment period CANNOT BE CHANGED AFTER THE ENROLLMENT PERIOD unless there is a family status change as defined by the Internal Revenue Code. Examples of a family status change are: marriage, divorce, death of a spouse or child, birth or adoption of a child, termination or commencement of a spouse’s employment, or the transition of spouse’s employment from full-time to part-time, or vice-versa.
– If a family status change has occurred, an employee has 31 days from the date of the family status change to notify the Mecklenburg County Employee Service Center at 704-432-6947 to request a change in elections.
– With Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts, the maximum reimbursement you can request is equal to the current account balance in your Dependent Care account. You cannot be reimbursed more than has actually been deducted from your pay.
– As a married couple, one spouse cannot be enrolled in a Medical Reimbursement FSA at the same time the other opens or contributes to an HSA.
– The Colonial Cancer plan and the Health Screening Rider on the Colonial Accident and Colonial Medical Bridge plan have a 30-day waiting period for new enrollees. Coverage, therefore, will not begin until January 31, 2022.
– Additionally, some policies may include a pre-existing condition clause. Please read your policy carefully for full details.
– Please be aware there are certain coverages that may be subject to federal and state tax when premium is paid by pretax deduction or employee contribution.
– An employee taking a leave of absence, other than under the Family & Medical Leave Act, may not be eligible to re-enter the Flexible Benefits Program until the next plan year. Please contact your Benefit Administrator for more information.