Benefits forDare County Schools

Overview of Benefits

Pre-Tax Benefits

Flexible Spending Accounts: IMS
– Medical Reimbursement Maximum: $3,200/year
– Dependent Care Reimbursement Maximum: $5,000/year
You will need to re-enroll in the Flexible Spending Accounts if you want them to continue next year.

Dental InsuranceIMS

Vision Insurance: Community Eye Care

Cancer Benefits: Colonial Life

Accident BenefitsColonial Life

Medical Bridge BenefitsColonial Life


Post-Tax Benefits

Disability BenefitsColonial Life

Critical Illness BenefitsColonial Life

Basic Group Term Life InsuranceThe Hartford – Employer-Paid

Life InsuranceColonial Life
– Term Life Insurance
– Whole Life Insurance
– Group Term Life Insurance

Telemedicine Benefits: Call A Doctor Plus – Direct Billing Only


Additional Benefits

Student Loan Assistance Program: GradFin

Employee Assistance Program: MyGroup EAP – Employer-Paid


Please note your insurance products will remain in effect unless you speak with a representative to change them.


Enrollment Period: January 22, 2024 – March 8, 2024

Effective Dates: May 1, 2024 – April 30, 2025



– Employees must work 20 hours or more per week.

– Dare County Schools pays the employee portion of the dental plan for employees who work 30+ hours per week AND were hired prior to 8/1/2011. Please Note: Employees are eligible for coverage at 20-29 hours and full-time employees hired after 8/11/2011, but are responsible for the full dental premium.


When do my benefits start? The plan year for Colonial Insurance products, Spending Accounts, IMS Dental, Colonial Supplemental Group Term Life, The Hartford Basic Group Term Life, and Superior Vision lasts from May 1, 2024 through April 30, 2025. Please Note: Dental benefits are based on the Calendar Year, running from January 1st through December 31st. Dental benefits and deductibles will reset every January 1st.

When do my deductions start? Deductions for IMS Dental will begin April 2024. Deductions for Colonial Insurance products, Spending Accounts, Colonial Supplemental Group Term Life, The Hartford Basic Group Term Life, and Superior Vision will begin May 2024. The Call A Doctor Plus Telemedicine plan is available by Direct Billing only. No deductions will be taken via payroll deduction.

Why have my Cancer, Accident, or Medical Bridge benefits not started yet? The Colonial Cancer plan and the Health Screening Rider on the Colonial Accident and Colonial Medical Bridge plan have a 30-day waiting period for new enrollees. Coverage, therefore, will not begin until May 31, 2024.

What is an EAP? Your employer offers an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for you and your eligible family members. An EAP is an employer-sponsored benefit that offers confidential support and resources for personal or work-related challenges and concerns. Please see the EAP pages of this benefit guide for more details and contact information.

How do Flexible Spending Account (FSA) funds work, and do my FSA funds have to be used by a specific deadline? Flexible Spending Account expenses must be incurred during the plan year to be eligible for reimbursement. After the plan year ends, an employee has 90 days to submit claims for incurred qualified spending account expenses (or 90 days after employment termination date). If employment is terminated before the plan year ends, the spending account also ends. Failure to use all allotted funds in the FSA account will result in a “Use It or Lose It” scenario. Your plan also includes a rollover provision! This means that if you have money left in your FSA at the end of the plan year, you can carryover up to $640 into the next plan year. Any remaining funds beyond $640 is forfeited under the “Use It or Lose It” rule.

My spouse is enrolled in an Health Savings Account (HSA), am I eligible for an FSA? As a married couple, one spouse cannot be enrolled in a Medical Reimbursement FSA at the same time the other opens or contributes to an HSA.

How do Dependent Care Account (DCA) funds work and when do they need to be used? Dependent Care Accounts are like FSA accounts and allow you to request reimbursement up to your current balance. However, you cannot receive more reimbursement than what has been deducted from your pay. It’s important to note that any remaining funds in your DCA account must be utilized before the deadline. Failure to use all allotted funds in the DCA account will result in a “Use It or Lose It” scenario.

When will I get my card? If you will be receiving a new debit card, whether you are a new participant or to replace your expired card, please be aware that it may take up to 30 days following your plan effective date for your card to arrive. Your card will be delivered by mail in a plain white envelope. During this time you may use manual claim forms for eligible expenses. Please note that your debit card is good through the expiration date printed on the card.

I want to sign my family up for benefits as well, what information will I need? If signing up for any coverage on your spouse and/or children, please have their dates of birth and social security numbers available when speaking with the Benefits Representative.

What is the difference between pre and post-tax benefits? Pre-tax benefit contributions are taken from an employee’s paycheck before state and federal taxes are applied. Post-tax benefit contributions are paid after taxes are deducted. It’s important to note that some coverages may still be subject to taxes even if paid for through pre-tax deduction or employee contribution.

Can I change my benefit elections outside of the enrollment period? Elections made during this enrollment period CANNOT BE CHANGED AFTER THE ENROLLMENT PERIOD unless there is a family status change, otherwise known as a qualifying life event (QLE), as defined by the Internal Revenue Code. Examples of a QLE can be found here.

I have a pre-existing condition. Will I still be covered? Some policies may include a pre-existing condition clause. Please read your policy carefully for full details.